You need to read the full report in
New York Post you love or hate The Gipper but give it to him, he was one of the best in diplomatic dealings, but former President John F. Kennedy holds all the aces when it comes to international diplomacy and brinkmanship. Below are excerpts from the newspaper.
A deeply apologetic Reagan pours on the charm on Oct. 26, 1983 as he
tries to assuage the anger of his British Prime Minister Margaret
Thatcher, who he knows is furious that he is invading Grenada without
having consulted with her first. “It is a remarkable, secret
presidential call, as Reagan is in the middle of a major presidential
crisis, thousands of US troops are in motion into combat and he is
talking without a script,” Doyle says. It’s also the first time Reagan
ever led troops into combat, including the first major combat operation
of the Navy SEALs after Vietnam.
Photo: AP
Reagan: If I were there, Margaret, I’d throw my hat in the door before I came in.
Thatcher: There’s no need to do that.
Reagan: We regret very much the embarrassment that’s
been caused you, and I would like to tell you what the story is from
our end out here. I was awakened at 3 in the morning, supposedly on a
golfing vacation down in Georgia. And was there with the secretary of
state [George Shultz], so we met in pajamas out in the living room of
our suite because of this urgent plea from the Organization of East
Caribbean States pleading with us to support them in this thing in
Grenada.
No comments:
Post a Comment